Sunday, August 16, 2009

More Big Brother Stuff

Am thrilled to announce that I have experienced my first 8 hour and 5 minute long sleep period since Father's Day. I'll admit that it was not without the ususal interruption to make a pit stop during the early morning hours, but the important thing to note surrounds the log book that says I slept 8 hours and 5 minutes total instead of 4.5, 5.0 or 6.0. Feelin good!

Moving on and returning to the focus of answering questions from the blog, let me say this.

Comments regarding the various posts have led to all kinds of questions regarding attitude, focus, perspective and a new word we've been using called "stick-to-a-tiveness". That word is sometimes in conflict with "hard headed" but when you HAVE to do things a certain way because it works for you, then you need to be able to communicate the validity of your decision to others even if they think you're nuts.

Whenever you are working your way through stuff and you aren't exactly up to your normal speed, you must adapt to the circumstances that constitute your reality, even if it doesn't meet the normally excepted rules or expectations of those around you.

With regard to that, I go to my bag of tricks that we've described as stuff that comes from "Big Brother Leland". Whether it's the following quote or advice about the "premeditated nap, I've quoted some of his stuff throughout these posts.

I don't know if you'll like it but let me say if you "adopt it" there's no doubt that you will be well served. Leland calls it "acceptance" and here it is.

"ACCEPTANCE"
"Acceptance is NOT approval, consent, permission, authorization, sanction, concurrence, support, ratification, assitance, advocating, backing, maintaining, authenticating, reinforcing, cultivating, encouraging, furthering, promoting, aiding, abetting or even LIKING what it is."
"Acceptance is saying..........it is what it is......and..........what is...........is what is.
Philosophers from Gertrude Stein ( a rose is a rose is a rose) to Popeye ( I yam what I yam) have understood acceptance.
"When reality confronts our notion of what reality should be, reality always wins."
Drop something while believing gravity shouldn't make it fall.........it always falls anyway. "We don't like this so we struggle with reality and become upset or turn away from it and become unconscious".
At any rate, I've used the phrase "reality" a whole bunch as it relates to some of the weird methods I have to use to accomplish goals under my current state. When that reality become a conflict with conventional thought process, I just go to "acceptance".
Hope you enjoyed it. Phil call me again, I screwed up the number.

3 comments:

  1. HI TIM, This is my 5th try today to join the commit posting group- I am hopeful. I am so proud of how beautifully you are going and to say hi. don,t forget the improtance of laughter. not only is it fun but it releases all sorts of good brain chemetries... love ya cousin Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    I have used "it is what it is" a bunch at work lately. When some say...well it should be this or that-my standard response is..."it is what it is". We can all try and change it, and make it better--but today ACCEPTANCE rules the reality of the situation.
    It is always fun to read your musings...so don't stop I love em.
    Tell everyone hi.
    The Smiths say kick cancer's ass!
    later.
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,
    I am a CRHP brother of your brother and I am very happy to have met him, because he is just great. Always himself, with a good sense of humour, not always easy to anticipate. I know the history of your family and I have the impression to know you a little bit. I know that you are going thru a rough time now, but I am rooting and praying for you. Visualize your brain healthy always and follow your intuition to heal yourself. If you catch yourself being anxious or skeptical, just BE. That attitude may not make sense to you today, but eventually it will. Be you, be loving and forgiving. Enjoy the moment. One day at the time. Learn and say the Serenity prayer often. Take care and God Bless. Pierre

    ReplyDelete