Sunday, August 9, 2009

Great Saturday

Spent all day yesterday with Tim Jr. Was great. We even managed to pull off an old style back yard cook out complete with ribeye. Followed all that with Vanilla ice cream.

Big brother called yesteday to inform us that he'd been in a car wreck, too. Appears that he may have totalled his truck as a result of some guy "thinking" he was turning left instead of going straight. No injuries and the air bags didn't even deploy as it was a hit from the side. The other guy was insured, too. Been a bit shakey for the Butler family since Father's Day but, if you have to get a call like that at a time like this, it's always cool to have that kind of call start off with "everything is cool".

Two day break on chemo and radiation can't even be described. With the single exception of fatigue that I am correcting through the nap deal I described earlier, I actually feel like a million bucks.

Since they won't even let me talk about going back to work this month, I've been writing my memoirs of the combat missions I flew in Vietnam and Cambodia in 70 and 71.

Buddies with the Red River Valley Fighter Pilot's Association have asked for more as some of the fighter pilots, bomber pilots and Forward Air Controllers actually lived on the same base with us but didn't really know the whole story. IT's all part of communicating with the support group and doing postive things in the midst of all the chemo radiation things. It is a good thing and reinforces the ability that any of us have to focus on positive things.

Slept unti almost 8 this morning which, for me, is very unusual. Going to breakfast right now and planning on regaining a shot of strength by napping, reading, writing more war stories and just enjoying the abscense of all the day to day demands that don't follow me over the week ends.

To be honest with you, the only problem I'm having is fighting the speed from the steroids. Jr says I'm going to be forced to deal with that with a prescription of some sort. He was a little concerned about my 3 to 4 hour per day sleep periods as not being enough. Got caught in the front yard at 3 a.m. one morning and when he asked me about it, I told him "I wanted to go jogging". .

Oh well, what a nice problem to have, huh!

If today is as good as yesterday was, I should be hitting 230 pounds by Monday's weigh in at the hospital. Score right now is brain cancer 1, Tim Sr. 6............hehehe

1 comment:

  1. I sware you look like a relative of James Carville. But then all you Cajons look alike to me. Gail told me a few years ago she passed him as he was jogging in New york. Maybe the jogging thing is in your blood. Probably from chasing women...
    Have a nice day and try to get more sleep. Remember you can dream of all those pretty girls you never got to make love to. They are yours to ravish in your dreams.
    All the best,
    Marvin

    ReplyDelete