Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The 72 hour target

Am preparing to discover what the 72 hour mark is like. That is the number of hours I've been told that it would take for the drugs to saturate my body. I'm on 150 mg per day of the chemo so I'm just guessing that it takes 72 hours for 450 mg to do it's thing to the bone marrow.

Bottom line is this: Between the regimen of a required breakfast to give one a full stomach two hours prior to the chemo and the last procedure of radiation every day, I'm hooked up for a 7 hour schedule five days per week for six weeks total. This is a real easy schedule so far from a standpoint of physical demands as I have Tim Jr or Joey driving me to and from the VA every day. What a luxury that is as I'm not allowed to drive at this time.

We have been instructed to obtain a "spill kit" to insure that no one will touch anything relative to the drugs I have on hand here. Should the nausea become a problem, that will handle it. No one is even allowed to touch the pills and instead have been instructed to "pour the pills into the cap of the bottle" and from there, I will simply take the pills like pouring them out of the cap like a drink.

VA benefits are incredible. We are actually thrilled at the $1.84 bill we received from them last week as this is the sum total from an estimated +$100,000.00 brain surgery bill + 2 days in the SICW, surgery intensive care ward as well as another estimated $200,000.00 for all the chemo and radiation that is to come.

The VA is super and has been since I started with them in 2004.

Well, I'm off for chemo and have to run. Will fill you guys in when I'm back from radiation about 2:30 or so CST if I'm able to.

Hangin' tough.

1 comment:

  1. Hang tuff!! Hope the nausea stays away!!! If so, myabe Biznay can cook you another good supper one night!

    ReplyDelete