Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bob Robinson's Visit

To refresh family memories, I went to high school with Bob and actually ended up living across the street from he and Lilah when I lived in Dixie Garden. I took most of you across the street to the brown brick house with the super shop in the back yard.

He's the guy that did the technical / restoration work on the motorcycle pictured above. Yesterday he called and came over. You are not going to believe what he brought with him.

Tim jr had given Bob two cassette tapes I made in Vietnam that Stanley kept safe for 38 years. One was made one night during a rocket attack on our flight line at Long Binh.

The other tape was made during a long day's flight between Long Binh and Tuy Hoa. Even though that mission was flown in June or July of 1970, I remember it as a flight which took roughly 11 total hours to make.

I also remember one hell of a fire fight going on because we received a radio call from Center that told us we were flying through artillery firing lines and needed to get the hell out of there.

It was the first time I managed to see pretty much all of Vietnam's East Coast and it included Cam Rhan Bay, the Phang Rang Pass and a couple of somewhat infamous areas along the coastline where some pretty serious battles had taken place between the VC and our allies from the Rupublic of South Korea, who incidentally, were really squared away troops.

In any event, Tim and Bob are going to put a link here that will let you click on certain portions of those two tapes. You should be able to listen to us talking and playing guitar on the flight line at "Redcatcher Heliport" and then, in the middle of all that, the rocket attack.

We also found a video that I made in Cambodia during CIA ops and Nixon's Secret War there.

That tape even has audio on it with music from the era. It includes Cambodia, Thien Ngnon, Tay Ninh, Nui Ba Din, Cu Chi and a few other areas of interest to all my buddies from the Cav, Fireball Aviation and the Red River Valley Fighter Pilot's Association. I hope ya'll enjoy that and as soon as Bob and the technogroup get all that lined out, we'll get it up and running.

Had a good night's sleep at Tim and Kristin's last night so I am feeling better rested today than yesterday which probably was my worst day for nausea since the beginning of chemo. Despite that, I'm feeling much, much better today. Will rest this afternoon and begin the battle again tomorrow. Keep smilin'.

Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment