Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wrecker to the VA

Couldn't win for losing today. Went to the hospital to do a "weigh in". I've gained 2.1 pounds which is a good thing. Don't want to try and replace all 31 that I lost after the chemo withdrawl but a slight gain to offset the upcoming loss with the next withdrawl period is better than dropping down to 170 pounds. On the up side of that, I only have one more withdrawl period for December. one for January and then I'm done in February.

Went up to Oncology and showed them the agent orange rash that now covers my entire body. Now I have an agent orange appointment and a brain scan at the catscan department tomorrow.

Thinking that I'd really done the right thing cause the agent orange appointment is almost certain to see me back on Prednezone, I went downstairs to the parking lot and prepared to eat lunch at 2:40 or so. Truck wouldn't start. It turned over just fine but wouldn't start.

Called Al Carroll's and they gave me the number of the wrecker they use. Number was busy. Now I'm stranded. I called Phil, part of my support group and friend since kindergarten days, and he came to the rescue. He picked me up, took me to get something to eat and then took me back to Tim and Kristin's.

Carroll's got in touch with the wrecker people and my truck was hauled to Al's shop. Hopefully I'll have some wheels by tomorrow's brain scan appointment. This hasn't been an easy day. The frustration of being without wheels is compounded by the ever present "sting" that comes when the agent orange is running wild.

All during the time I was at home (Leesville) I was on Prednezone and it completely controls the agent orange and everything was fine. I was working every day and never missed a single minute of work due to Agent Orange. The Prednezone is somewhat of a pain in the ass cause you have to take it on a full stomach and take it 3 times per day. Despite that, I operated as well or better than anybody else. Was always ahead of time and never missed a second of the action that takes place at work.

That may sound a little freaky to some but working for a Construction Aggregates Company is a cool thing. Barges, Push Boats, trains, rail cars, 18 wheelers, bull dozers, huge Tonka toy style front end loaders, tanks, jeeps, helicopters, gunships, you name it, we have it at work. I miss the game!

In any event, I may have to call a cab to go to the hospital tomorrow but you can bet I'll make those two appointments. I'll let ya'll know the results of the catscan as soon as they let me know.

Hangin' in there.

Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment