Sunday, September 13, 2009

Talk about "comfort level".

Phone rang yesterday with news from Melissa regarding a rib eye dinner. Talk about a spark of energy and a caloric rush!

She's one of the best cooks I've ever been around and when Melissa, Sue, Joey or Beth sends an invitation to eat something from their kitchen, you just have to cancel everything and go do it or live to regret it.

I'm pretty tired of eating out but not tired of having to deal with preparing my own meals so I was immediately game to get on with that show. Discovered that Elsa was going to make it, too and since I haven't seen her in a long time, that was double cool. Elsa's no slouch either when it comes to the kitchen.

About 6:15 pm. I tuned in the LSU Vanderbilt game, turned on the recorder to save it for Tim and Kristin and made my way to Melissa's house. When I arrived, Melissa fired up the coals, grabbed the keys to her car and both of us went to pick up Elsa.

We came straight back to Dixie Garden in time to see the coals were ready and made ready the attack.

Talk about a "comfort level".

Girls, wives, family members, when your cancer patient doesn't have enough energy to scratch his head, these baby dolls are life savers and they've been key in making my life easier during all the chemo/radiation and fatigue that comes with the battle.

Think about that for a minute or at least think about the effect they would have on your patient.

They're the girls you dug in high school, they're excellent cooks, they know you're not able to wash the dishes or take out the trash, they'll let you eat your weight in ribeyes and home made dessert and they're real easy to look at.

Foxy wimmenz in the kitchen at 60 can be a whole lot better than foxy wimmenz in the kitchen at 25. Maturity removes all the clutter and lets you get right down to pure friendship without social motive. I love all my high school wimminz even the ones that are married to my high school friends.

So, having said that, let me suggest that you try to contact all of your patient's friends from high school and college and let them know what's up. It's a treat to look at these sixty year old faces and still see that smile that existed when they were 16.

I'm not just talking about the girls either.

"The Dupester" (Steve Dupuy) is retired now and only lives a few blocks over. He's been on call from the git go and can make it to Tim and Kristin's house in roughly 4 or 5 minutes depending on traffic. When Joey is out of pocket, I have a long list of phone numbers that I can call to make sure I don't get busted driving which won't be legal till Friday.

Trust me, the more folks you have in your support group, the easier your load is going to be, and the better off your patient will be. It's neat to have somebody show up that you've known forever and when that happens you get more of that positive mental attitude that is so important to kickin' that cancer's butt on a 24/7 basis.

That's pretty much the story of Saturday. Best kinda therapy a rib eye freak can have!!!!

Ya'll have a nice Sunday. Play nice.

Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment