Monday, September 21, 2009

Best Day!

Woke up at 7:37 this morning and had a quick breakfast. Went back to bed around 9 and slept almost 3 hours. When I woke up from the nap, I realized that I was starving. I touched base with Joey and set up for lunch.

I realized that I felt better at noon than I had in a long, long time. I was under the impression that the completion of chemo and radiation meant that I would be back to normal in no time. That was an incorrect assumption.

I've since discovered that the effects on my body from the six week period of chemo and radiation takes a while to go away. I'll have to admit that I was a bit depressed about the continued fatigue when I discovered that I wasn't ready to jump up and go camping. I simply thought that it was over and I could get on with the business of living. Wrong!

I was going to go to the hospital this afternoon to check in with Oncology to get a better handle on things but I've decided to not do that as it's pretty hot and I can't sweat until I get my hydration numbers and the electrolytes where they need to be.

In any event, for those of you coming off chemo and radiation, be patient. It doesn't go away over night and the 72 hour "full saturation" period for chemo does not work on the coming down side.

It apparently takes more than 72 hours for all the chemo to leave. I'm still having to take my anti nausea pills even though I'm not taking the chemo and haven't for over 100 hours. I'm NOT throwing up but I can definately tell that there is still something "different" about my stomach.

I'm not sure how much longer that will last and until I find out something more specific about the time needed to heal from radiation, I won't have a clue about that either. I just know that Joey is real insistent about the proper amount of rest needed to overcome what he calls "The assault on my body" and now that Kristin is back, I'm sure she will be, too.

I'm going to be good and not head south for a business meeting to discuss stone prices and the Haynesville Shale. When I find out from the real powers that be at the VA, I'll let ya'll know.

Kristin Home! Yeeeeeeha!

Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment