Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Figured it out

Today was a reasonably smooth running day. No nausea at all to speak of.

When you are coming off chemo (Stan) as part of a 5 day on double dosages and 25 days off, you are almost certainly going to be much sicker than the dosages you started off with. When you realize that, get up off the floor and kick that cancer's ass. Here's how:

First thing in the morning, no matter what happens, take the anti nausea tablets (in my case 3). Immediately thereafter, go back to bed and be very still for about an hour. When you finish that and you can actually walk without becoming violently ill, eat at least one cup of cereal, maybe two. When you finish with that, try to be still until your stomach settles.

I know it's really hard to be sick every day and maintain any kind of a positive attitude, but it's not impossible. When I do all of the above, and when it works, I get to eat lunch with loved ones and that is a huge thing for me. I come back to Jr's place and take another antinausea tablet and get back in the bed to be still.

Stan, this is something that I've learned the hard way. Stay on the support drugs and above all, do not believe that getting "off" chemo means "getting on" with feeling good. There is a time period that is very tough UNLESS you stay on those support drugs like "Prochlorperazine Maleate" and Ondesetron. Just do it. I never want to go through another Monday and I hope you will have the same kind of luck I've had when you follow the above. Hang tough. Happy Thanksgiving. We all have alot to be thankful for................

Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment