Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wood, Ass and Combat

I guess that's a bit of a strange title but I've had so many readers ask me where I come up with some of this stuff, I felt it was okay to add this.

I've been trying to make a point about the need of having a Patriot's Cabin where guys like us can meet. Knowing that I need to teach a few things that brings me to decisions like this one, I often think about some of the lessons I learned from Melissa about teaching and learning.

She used to say that "everybody has their own learning style" but she also said that "everybody has their own teaching style". She said that it was critically important to make sure that one's teaching style worked well with one's learning style".  Recently, in the midst of thinking how I might get my point across, I came across an old saying that came with diction and articulation lessons.

"How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood"?

As I have gone through debate after debate about many different military things, I considered the following as an appropriate attention getter when trying to make a humorous point about the seriousness of war.

"How many asses can ass kickers kick when ass kickers have to kick ass"?

The answer to that question is as follows:

Revolutionary War, the British lost 24,000 and we lost 10,000.
World War 1, the Germans lost 1.7 million.
World War 2, the Germans lost somewhere between 4.3 to 5.5 million. Sources vary on the number.
                       the Japanese lost 2,120,000.

I don't think that Korea and Vietnam needed to be added here but suffice it to say that we have shown a capacity to do a lot of killing when we are threatened. Since there's no way of knowing the answer to that question, if today's day and times brings us to a point where we have to kick a lot of ass, just remember the words about ass kicking and the statistics in the paragraph above.

No comments:

Post a Comment