Thursday, July 11, 2013

We want something permanent, something that can't be taken away.

I went to see Roger at the hospital yesterday and talked to him about these voices and visions from our Founding Fathers. As my primary counselor, the guy I've spent more time with than any other, the one who knows all of the details of my history, he obviously wanted to know about the details.

After a brief period of time, we concluded that watching the musical entitled "1776" probably had something to do with it. When I told him that I'd watched it twice and, in effect, spent 5 hours and 4 minutes watching and listening, we more or less decided that I'd overdosed on all the information and stories of the Continental Congress, the people and the circumstances of the times.

I confessed that the first night was so real to me, that I considered the voices to be real even though I eventually considered that they were simply coming from the back of my brain. Despite that, they were so clear and crisp, I considered them to be more real than simple recollections of the movie. As I thought about that, I recalled a couple of other movies I'd seen and realized that other voices had visited me before.

"Go ahead, make my day" was only one recollection from Clint Eastwood. John Wayne's "Fill your hand, Pilgrim" was another. "Yippee Ky Yea, mother fucker" was another and the list went on an on. I wondered how many movie goers had ever experienced any recollections of those kinds of statements from those kinds of actors and movies.

With those recollections in mind, I began to wonder about the prescription of Lorazepam I have to take during some of the more troublesome times I experience with my post brain surgery, chemo and radiation situation. I immediately looked at my logbook and saw that I had been following doctor's orders and taking the pill as ordered. Last night, since I'd heard nothing from the Continental Congress, I decided not to take one.

After a long afternoon nap, I decided that I would try to focus on the difference between taking the meds and not taking the meds. Since I hadn't heard a peep from George Washington, John Adams, Ben Franklin or any of the other key players from those days, I thought about the new arrivals. I didn't give much thought to the older new arrivals like Teddy Roosevelt or FDR but Stormin' Norman continued to occupy my mind.

At that point in time I began to see a correlation between the reactions of the Continentals during certain reports of bad news that came when Washington sent posts directly to the Congress. If it was bad news, they would raise all sorts of hell because, at that time, the issue of Independence had not yet been voted on by the Congress. With that thought in mind, I considered the aftermath of the report that Stormin' Norman gave.

If you will recall, a number of the members went to the stockade where Santa Anna was locked up with others from that time frame. Those who were incarcerated received the brunt of the revenge motivated visit and all hell broke loose. That's when the light bulb went off and I recalled a total state of disarray existing in the hall where the members typically hung out.

I went to my DVR, clicked on "Recordings" scrolled down to "1776" and started watching it for the 3rd time. When I got into it, I realized that it was a musket shot and not a pistol shot that rang out when the Speaker was trying to regain order in the hall.

At that point, I realized that there had been so much disorder and argument in the Hall, there probably had been a recess called to calm things down a bit and maybe that was the reason I'd not heard anything. With that realization, I came up with a plan that might help me regain contact with them all.

I turned off the TV, stood up, put my hands on my hips, spread my legs just a little so I could at least look like I was standing in the military position of "AT EASE" and I shouted:

"What in the hell do you want with me"?

To my surprise, I received a two sentence response. A voice came through and it said: "We want something permanent, something that can't be taken away. That's the whole damn reason for this Declaration of Independence".

That was all that was said but it was enough for me to go to the medicine cabinet and grab a late night dose of Lorazepam. I found it, logged it in my book and began looking for my doctor's appointment list to see when my next visit with Roger would be.

It's only 9 a.m. on a Thursday morning so I think I'll get a shower and try to make some sense out of the rest of my day. For you hard corp followers of this blog, be advised that I see Roger again next week but if I hear anything else from the Ghosts of the Continental Congress, I'll let you know.

Thanks to all who have sent emails of support during this very weird time especially Mike and Sharon.  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment