Saturday, July 6, 2013

230 year old email/phone call.

You're not going to believe this.

Last night, I received what I initially thought was an email from Robert E. Lee, George Washington, John Hancock and a boat load of other guys from back in the day. It was really weird. I didn't even have my computer on. As a matter of fact, I was watching tv, sitting in my Lazy Boy recliner and quite content with myself. Then, all of a sudden, I heard this little "Ping" go off in my ear and before I knew it, General Lee started talking. It was some kind of an intergalactic phone call.

I don't know if the good Lord set up a deal where all the founding fathers can hang out and observe everything that goes on in the Country, but I think that's what happened. Maybe it's Mount Vernon or somewhere else with mountains, I just don't know.

It may even be somewhere near Philly where all those meetings took place when they were trying to hammer out the Declaration of Independence. At this point, I don't really care as I was totally blown away by a visit with all the guys from the late 1700s.

After a short introduction of everyone, introductions made by General Lee, George Washington began to speak. He was quite nice and spoke with the tone of a gentleman. He acknowledged my service in the Army, he told me he was quite proud of my conduct during Vietnam and then added: "Including that little run in with Captain Minix".

The moment he said that, I heard a very strong "Bully" in the back ground and asked General Washington if that was Teddy Roosevelt. With that, they all started laughing. General Washington laughed as well and said, "You've done well with your studies of history and more than anything, that's why we picked you to talk to".

I responded with a "Thank You, sir" and let them go on with their speech.

General Washington said: "Tim, we've gathered some of your favorites here and I think you'll be most comfortable with the conversations. We have everybody from John Hancock all the way to General Pershing and George Patton. We even brought George Scott along as he and Patton have become good friends and have been ever since Scott made the movie Patton".

"Davey Crockett and all his boys are sitting on the front row and they're most interested in putting in their two cents. If you'll stand by a second, we'll get them all lined up and start this thing. You may well understand that Patton and Pershing are raising hell over who gets to go first but don't sweat it, we'll get it all lined out". With that, I answered again with "Yes Sir".

The apparent problem with who would be the first to speak was further compounded by someone from the 1st Continental Congress who was quoting some bits and pieces from the debates that came during the efforts to finish the Declaration of Independence.

"Is anybody there, does anybody care. There will be hell to pay through all the gloom and doom. Does anybody see what I see? I hear the bells ringing out. I hear the cannons roar. I see all Americans free". Finally, I discovered it was someone they referred to as Mr. Adams and I'm sure it was John.

Someone else piped in with :"A representative owes the people not only his industry but his judgment, and he betrays them if he sacrifices it for their opinion". He said it was written by Edmond Burke, a member of the British Parliament.

Soon after those recollections were made, Ben Franklin said: "I beg you consider what you are doing".  John Adams said: "Mark me Franklin, we give in on this issue then posterity will never forgive us". At that time Franklin said: "That's probably true as we will all be long gone. We're men, no more than others, trying to get a Nation started. If we don't give into that, what difference will the rest make?"

"It would be a pity for a man who has handed down hundreds of wise decisions from the bench to be remembered only for the one unwise decision he made in Congress". I believe it was James Wilson and if he voted against Independence, he would have stopped it. Hell, I didn't even know who James Wilson was or how he played in a role for Independence.

With that, after the vote, someone said: "The count, being twelve to none, the resolution on Independence is adopted". Someone said: "Step right up gentlemen and sign. Don't miss your chance to commit treason".

John Dickinson refused to sign it but left Congress after voting Yea. He left by saying that he would instead, join the Army and fight even though he felt it was hopeless.

By this time in the conversation, my eyes were crossed and I realized that I didn't know as much about the members of the Continental Congress as I should have.

The interruptions were as bad or worse than the ones that come on late night television shows where multiple guests talk at that same time and you can't really get a good sight picture on either point they are trying to make.

Despite that, I was digging the fact that I was a part of conversations with everybody that made a major play in the development of our Country as well as it's defense in later years. Talk about cool. It was great.

I asked for a bit of understanding about my fatigue but was stopped in the middle of my request for pardon by John Adams. He said: "Don't worry, Tim. You ought to see Ben Franklin. He's been nodding off to sleep during most of this and I highly suspicion that he's had too much to drink". We're all pooped out but don't worry, we will continue this later, at a time more conducive to accomplishing the original goal we set when we decided to contact you".

I thanked him, told him that I would get some rest and would be available for further comment when everybody was up to it. It wasn't long after the conversation that I managed to lay down and let my recollections of all that seep in and put me to sleep.

I hate to stop now but rest assured that I will make contact again as soon as they call back. I'm sure that it will include another talk fest as I can faintly hear some of the back ground noise between Davey Crockett and Black Jack Pershing. I bet that will be an interesting witness. Stand by. I'll get back as soon as they call.













No comments:

Post a Comment