Monday, October 19, 2015

Starch in the underware, The Battle of the Bulge, my Dad and Leland.

During the Second World War, my Dad owned a dry cleaning plant. He won the contract to clean the clothes of the Army guys in training at Camp Beauregard in Pineville, Louisiana. Later on, when the Nazi prisoners of war began to add up, they were sent to Beauregard and my parents cleaned their stuff, too. During the winter of 1944, my older brother Leland was born there.

Recently, I watched a documentary of the Battle of the Bulge. It started during the winter of 1944 and somehow, I began to wonder if my Dad and Leland's birthday had anything to do with it. I began to study.

First of all, you need to know that my Daddy was quite a character. He always kept everybody laughing and could pull off a practical joke at the highest levels. He had quite a number of brothers in law in military service during the war and he hated the Nazi dogs with a vengeance. That's when the picture unfolded of him working in the cleaning plant, cleaning the boxer shorts of the Nazi POWs. I could close my eyes and see him loading starch in the commercial washer that was filled with boxer shorts that belonged to the Nazi POWs. I could also see him laughing his ass off as he did it.

I imagined that he never knew the phrase "Psychological Warfare" but he might have read or heard things about the Russians and how they treated Nazi POWs, especially that famous General named "Ruburcrotchoff".

In view of the fact that there were so many Nazi spies in the USA during that time, I found it to be no small coincidence that they may have known about Dad's treatment of the Nazi's lower regions by using Starch. I also figured that they put that in the reports that went back to Hitler. Then, with the birth announcements in the paper, I figured they reported that, too.

Not long after that, in view of Hitler's massive losses during the war, I think he might have freaked out and ordered the Battle of the Bulge to insure he and his men wouldn't have to deal with my Dad or his first born son, Leland. You know that old saying: "Like Father like Son".

In any event, I would like to acknowledge all of the visionaries that served the Country during the Second World War, especially my Mom and Dad. Way to go Dad, shoot the starch to the under drawers of those Nazi dogs. Don't worry, Leland and I will take care of these Gruntlicks.

1 comment: